Research performed by our national office points out key data that describe the personal dangers girls face:
- 78% of girls are unhappy with their bodies by age 17
- 3 in 10 girls will become pregnant before the age of 20
- 1 in 4 girls will not finish high school
- 1 in 5 girls will be a victim of childhood sexual abuse
Girls Inc. meets these challenges by helping girls explore and celebrate their strengths, their voices, who they are today, and who they will become.
The Girls Inc. Theory of Change
Our Theory of Change is that the Girls Inc. Experience results in:
- Strong and Healthy girls, who make healthy choices and manage their reproductive health.
- Smart and Educated girls, who are motivated to achieve; graduate from high school and have post-secondary education; and attain personal, educational and career goals.
- Bold and Independent girls, who have healthy relationships, a sound body image, and are not afraid to use their voice.
The Girls Inc. Experience consists of the people, place and programming that, together, empower girls to succeed.
The people are trained staff and volunteers who build lasting, mentoring relationships, and peers who share their drive and aspirations.
The place is girls-only, physically and emotionally safe. There is a sisterhood of support, high expectations, and respect.
- The research based programming is hands-on, minds-on, and meets the needs of today’s girls to provide age-appropriate information and knowledge, empowering girls to make decisions to lead healthy lives, succeed academically, and develop life skills to prepare for adulthood.
Girls face gender-specific problems that require solutions crafted specifically for them. Our specialties for girls in grades K-12:
- Girls grow up STRONG (healthy), SMART (educated), and BOLD (independent)
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math) & Leadership experiences
- Fitness, Sports & Nutrition
- Violence Prevention
- Economic Empowerment and Financial Literacy
- Substance Abuse and Prevention
Defining the Girls Inc. Experience
Every day, when girls arrive at our Girls Inc. locations to take part in various programs and activities, they have different experiences that are all based on one set of criteria. This is what defines the Girls Inc. Experience:
- A pro-girl and girls-only environment
- Trusting, mentoring relationships
- Holistic, compensatory, and intentional experiential content
- Research-based curricula
- Hands-on, interactive activities
- Sustained exposure to increase positive outcomes
The Girls Inc. Experience is facilitated by 3 Essential Services that are common to all activities and programs: Healthy Living activities, Academic Enrichment, and Life Skills instruction.
We use these criteria to create consistent experiences, outcomes, and levels of quality in everything we do for girls.