Counselors ensure children's safety, manage children's behavior and act as a role model and mentor. Staff model constructive participation in all daily activities. Counselors work closely with lead staff to ensure safety of all children. Counselors must be at least 18 years of age. All Counselors must participate in staff training before camp begins.
- Develop and facilitate age appropriate activities that keep girls active and help them develop strong (healthy), smart (educated), and bold (independent) skills.
- Assist in the implementation of activities in the areas of comprehensive youth development, prevention programming including recreational needs and cultural enrichment.
- Immediately alert lead staff to any concerns regarding the health, safety, or behavior of a child.
- Use group management skills to engage all children in daily activities.
- Assist in developing and maintaining a positive, equitable, accessible, safe and supportive environment for girls, which support individual choice and foster independence.
- Assist in maintaining and promoting physical, emotional, and verbal safety of all participants.
- Counselors should be self-motivated and able to work independently within the structure of the program.
- Other duties as assigned.
Typically Monday through Friday 8 AM to 4 PM
General Required Qualifications for Girls Inc. Staff
- Demonstrated experience in youth programming.
- Knowledge of Girls Inc. of Worcester programs or willingness to learn.
- Adhere to confidentiality policies and conduct appropriate for a representative of Girls Inc.
- Ability to maintain personal boundaries, while respecting the students’ rights to privacy and establishing limits on appropriate personal conversations.
- Mature, responsible, organized, with experience in time management.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of the content and philosophy behind Girls Inc.’s programs; willingness to learn from Girls Inc. National trainings and publications.
- Ability to problem solve and make improvements.
- Must be punctual and dependable.
General Desirable Skills and Qualities for Girls Inc. Staff
- The ability to occasionally accommodate a flexible work schedule and responsiblities.
- The willingness to travel on occasion.
- The willingness and ability to participate in learning opportunities as appropriate.
- The willingness and ability to participate in agency-sponsored events, Annual Meetings, Awards ceremonies, etc.
- Knowledge of child development and the necessary elements to build a quality after school program, as well as familiarity with the advantages of single gender programs.
- The ability to work as a team player with Girls Inc. of Worcester staff and volunteers.
- The ability to listen and take direction well.
- Must have the physical ability to lead and participate in camp activities which include, but are not limited to, hiking, swimming, team building initiatives, building campfires, physical games, and activities.
- Must have the ability to lift 50 lbs.
youth work: 1 year (Required)
Girls Inc. of Worcester recognizes that it is essential for the organization to include the values of diversity and inclusiveness as part of our strategy to achieve our vision and mission. We are committed to building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourage applications from minority candidates.
Please apply at this link.